TheBlackList Pub

For All Points-Of-The-View.

LAND! LAND! LAND! There is a lot of talk about land in South Africa today. It looks like some people have been asleep about this important national asset. Others who talk about land today in this country did their part in betraying the land question.

For the benefit of those who are genuinely concerned about this fundamental question I revisit the problem of land dispossession of Africans in South Africa. It stems from a mutilated history, the manipulation of international law and, of course, from those who betrayed the land question in South Africa in June 1955.

I will come to that later. But for now let me state that land dispossession of the African people did not fall from the sky. It formally started with the European Berlin General Act of 26 February 1885.This was at the Berlin Conference. It was when Belgium’s King Leopold reminded his fellow colonialists on the verge of stealing the whole continent of Africa except modern Ethiopia that: “We are here to see how we should divide among ourselves this magnificent African cake.”

From that time seven Western European countries agreed to divide Africa among themselves into “Portuguese” Africa, “Spanish” Africa, “German” Africa, “French” Africa, “Belgian” Africa, “Italian” Africa, “British” Africa. South Africa (Azania) became part of “British” Africa. Somalia, a tiny African country, had the misfortune of becoming “French” Somaliland, “Italian” Somaliland, and “British” Somaliland.

Azania became a “British” territory with four colonies it renamed Cape colony, Natal, Orange Free State and Transvaal. All funny colonial names because Natal means “Christmas Day;” Vasco da Gama had passed through there on 25 December 1497. “Orange Free State”- there are no oranges here. Moreover, a colony could not be “free state” at the same time. Transvaal simply meant “across the Vaal.” This was the name of an African river called Lekoa in the Sesotho language.

The British colonial law which created the union of these four colonies was cited as the Union of South Africa Act 1909. It was passed directly by the British Parliament on 20 September 1909. It excluded and racially discriminated against Africans. Through the Native Land Act 1913, the parliament of these colonial settlers allocated 93% of the African land to themselves. They were numbering 349,837 souls. This colonial parliament allocated the remaining 7% of land to over five million African owners of this African country.

Section 44 of this Union of South Africa Act 1909 stated the qualifications of members of the assembly very clearly. “The Qualifications of Members of Assembly (Parliament)….He must be a British subject of European descent.” Continue Reading

Views: 50

Donations Accepted

Get on TheBlackList with
the following networks:

Facebook Page Twitter Ning foursquare StumbleUpon Digg Blogger pinterest


Discussion Forum

Institute of the Black World Applauds CARICOM on Venezuela Stance

Started by TheBlackList News Jul 17. 0 Replies

The Institute of the Black World 21st Century (IBW) applauds the CARICOM Heads of Government who at their…Continue

Why Africans have no land in South Africa

Started by TheBlackList-Publisher Jul 10. 0 Replies

Motsoko Pheko July 06,…Continue

Could an African passport bring to life the dreams of Nkrumah, Senghor and Touré?

Started by SendMeYourNews Jul 6. 0 Replies

Crossing borders have always been tough for Africans. Peter Andrews/ReutersUchenna Okeja, Rhodes…Continue

Pan African institute tackles academic decolonisation

Started by TheBlackList-Publisher Jun 24. 0 Replies

The University of Johannesburg in South Africa continues to play a leading role in what is increasingly being viewed as a national imperative to decolonise higher education, as one of its institutes last weekend hosted a conference focused on the…Continue

What does the burning alive of Afro-Venezuelan Orlando Figuera really mean?

Started by TBL_Promoter. Last reply by KWASI Akyeampong Jun 29. 4 Replies

PHOTO of 21 year old Orlando Figuera being burned to death in Venezuela.Try as…Continue

Back apology for Namibia genocide with reparations

Started by SendMeYourNews. Last reply by Zhana May 30. 1 Reply

If Germany paid billions of dollars to survivors of the Jewish holocaust, then there is an existing precedent for reparations, and it would be nothing short of racist to deny the Herero and Nama people financial reparations, writes Shannon…Continue

© 2017   Created by KWASI Akyeampong.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service


Live Video

= =